Thursday, September 30, 2010

Finish brakes, starting electrical issue...

Yesterday was not a fun day but I finished the rear brakes...

Went to pick up the relined shoes fro the front.

The front drums had grooves, especially the right one.

I had them machined...

The paint on the right one was damaged with brake fluid...

Some high spots I had to file down.

Torquing the nut to 30 m/Kg; by putting my weight on the blue mark is the equivalent of 30 m/Kg.

Broke my wrench :o(

Did a lube job on the front end. Someone replaced the grease nipple with a bleeder.

This nipple broke...

Since it is an over-sized nipple, I borrowed the other side's to grease the upper arm and plugged the hole with a metric screw.

The front brakes are done. The right one is still a little tight but feels normal when I've road tested the car. It will take its place.


Started to work on the electrical issue. The charging system is not working.

Changed all fluids and oiled the water pump while I was at it.

Not much coolant in there :o(

Tried to drain the block but, as expected, the hole was clogged with years of deposit at the bottom of the block. I could not clear it. The best way would be drain the radiator again after a while and replace the coolant again.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Rebuilding brake cylinders...

Got my parts.

Cleaned up the hoses.

Done. Waiting for the shoes (Supposedly today).

This replaces the palm of your hand. I'm ready to put the rear brake back together (Right side).

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Brakes and rims...

The left front brake cylinder was also pretty bad. One piston was seized.

Ready to be rebuilt. I have received the parts last night; this will be my task today.

The brake fluid leak damaged the paint on the right front wheel.

We can see the original color on the rim (Cream)

I have also painted the hub cap to match the rim.

I have welded the previously glued and loose nut on the rim, then painted.

Pretty much all the Atlas white walls were damaged. I've removed them by deflating the tires.

The car will look sharper.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010


One piston was seized and the other one was leaking

After honing it

Clean. Now waiting for parts.

The left side was a challenge to remove. The other side was actually loose. The torque was going through the key; a good thing that it did not shear.

Also leaking...

A nut was glued behind the rim to hold the hub cap. I will weld it.

The rear brakes were probably rebuilt at some point. I just cleaned them up and lubricated the moving parts.

The outer bearing on the right side (rear) was bad.